It is important to power flush your central heating system to avoid and clean out a buildup of oxide sludge and calcium, which can cause your radiators and heat exchangers to block up and corrode. It is caused by air entering to the inside of the system mixing with the water and accelerating corrosion. Power flushing ensures all sludge and debris is cleaned from the central heating system, decreasing the risk of blockages, breakdowns and leaks. There is also the added benefit of saving money as you would be running a more energy efficient home.
These are the following symptoms of needing a power flush –
- Radiators that are cold at the bottom
- Radiators do not get hot even after the pipes do
- Radiators take a long time to heat up
- Radiators need frequent bleeding, producing discoloured water
- Radiators have leaks
- Radiators and boilers become noisy, making loud banging or a whistling kettle noise
- Boilers switch on and off
- Boilers produce unstable temperature, especially in the case of combination boilers
- Boilers breakdown
A power flush would be carried our by a gas safe engineer who will connect a power flush machine to your system. This will push a powerful, low pressure flow of chemically treated liquid through your system. This dislodges sludge and rusty sediment, removing it from your radiators and boiler. It can take 4-10 hours to flush out your radiator system and can take even longer if you have a larger system or if there is a lot of sludge. Your central heating system will contain fresh, clean water after the power flush. The engineer will then add an inhibitor solution which is a liquid chemical to help prevent your system corroding again and sludge building up causing the same issues once more.
Call AS Plumbing and Gas to book your power flush now. See our rates below.
4 or less radiators – £300 + VAT
5 – 8 radiators – £460 + VAT
Each additional radiator – £25 + VAT